Monday, January 18, 2010

To Kill a Mockingbird



To kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books of all time. Harper Lee said that she drew on her memories of her own life and an incident that occurred when she was 10 years old in writing the book. I found it to be a warm account of southern life, a look at the complexities of race relations and the depth of understanding that children have about the adult world.



Of course, the fact that I felt a connection to Scout really drew me to the story. Yes, I was a pixie wearing tomboy. (My Mom convinced me to get the hairstyle that meant no care for her by selling the idea that I would look just like Tinkerbelle. I think I ended up looking like my darling older bothers less attractive younger brother.) Hummmmmmm …..just like Scout. She adored her older brother and so did I. She was up for a little mischief and so was I. She believed there was not a better man on the planet than her Dad and so did I.




After Scout, l really loved the character Atticus, her father. He is solid, steady, honest, respectful, compassionate and fair. He could shoot a gun (at 71 my Dad still can and would) ,and hit a target to protect his family or community. He stood for what was right, not for what was popular.

If you don't want to read the book--take a shortcut to the movie. Its a wonderful account of Harper Lee's book.

No comments:

Post a Comment